Tuesday 24 July 2012

Marbled Green and other back yard moths

Finally some decent summer weather has arrived and the moths have started to appear including one of my favourites, a marbled green, which I found on the wall in the back yard when I checked out the moth trap in the early morning. I have rarely had one in the trap itself, they always seem to be found on the nearby walls.

Marbled Green

Marbled Green

Another summer moth was my first Jersey tiger of the year flitting about the front garden when I came home from work at about 4 O'clock in the afternoon. At first I thought it was a painted lady as I caught sight of it from the corner of my eye.

A new moth for the garden was a Brussels lace, a bit of a surprise but a welcome addition to the garden list. I had hoped to see some in Bude last week but drew a blank.

Brussels Lace

Another new (micro) moth for me was a diamond-back moth in the moth trap one morning, I had recently read an article on Birdguides about these moths and had looked them up in my micro moth fieldguide and then a few days later I found one in the trap.

Diamond-back Moth

Diamond-back Moth

Other nice moths I have had in the trap recently were a smart coronet and a bee moth.

Coronet


Bee Moth with an unidentified micro moth

Hopefully the good weather will hold for a while and moth trapping in the back yard will improve on this years so far poor showing.

No comments:

Post a Comment