Friday 1 July 2011

More moths

After sorting out the moths in the trap on Sunday the day became hot and sunny. A walk around Plymouth Hoe was scorching hot so on returning home it was nice to sit in the shade in the back yard where a new moth for the garden was perched on the wall right out in the open, a peach blossom!
Peach Blossom

Later that evening we headed off to Colin and Julies for a barbeque, it was a lovely evening and we sat outside until 10:30pm enjoying the warm weather. Plenty of swifts were seen flying overhead which was nice as they seem scarce over my house this year. Also seen in their garden were at least 3 frogs.

I decided to put out the moth box again that night as it was so mild and the next morning amongst the moths I had my first large yellow underwing of the year.

We headed off for a walk at Wembury on the Monday afternoon, I had a pasty but it was a bit stale tasting. In the toilet block there was a small blood vein, a lime speck pug and a fan foot amongst others.

Fan Foot
Bird wise it was quiet as usual for the time of year but a cirl bunting was heard singing and chiffchaffs and whitethroats were seen and heard. My first ringlet butterflies of the year were on the wing.

I was feeling a bit crappy and not looking forward to my 4 night shifts, on getting home from the walk I went to bed and slept for an hour and a half which I never do. I survived the nights though and am now looking forward to a quiet weekend with some nice weather, shame David is working all day on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment