Monday, 17 August 2026

Moths, A Partial Solar Eclipse and Local Birding

Butterflying may be pretty much done for the year and birding should start to pick up now but there are still some legs in mothing and with the current hot weather I've had the moth box out in the backyard to see what's about. Catches have been small but varied and with some interesting migrant moths turning up including Small Mottled Willow, Rush Veneer, Palpita vitrealis, Turnip Moth and Vestal.

Small Mottled Willow

Rush Veneer

Palpita vitrealis

Turnip Moths

Vestal

Lychnis

Light Emerald

Box Tree Moth - presumably still some Box surviving nearby

I caught the 7am bus out to Wembury on Monday 7th August, it felt pleasantly cool when I arrived but was baking hot again by the time I headed home. It felt very non-birdy and it was slow going but I did eventually find a Reed Warbler in the bushes around the cattle water trough at The Point before it disappeared amongst the foliage. The male Common Scoter was still in close to the beach and busily diving away, maybe it's moulting it's flight feathers and is sticking around at a good food source as they regrow? 

The wheatfield has been cut and the hay bales were being loaded onto a trailer but the strip nearest the footpath remains uncut, presumably for a winter feeding area for the Cirl Buntings.

Wembury Hay Bales

Wembury Wheatfield

Plenty of Clouded Yellows were still on the wing including an helice type while at the main beach at least 2 Bee-wolf were present and a make Common Darter was found along the stream in the valley to the beach.

Clouded Yellow

Bee-Wolf

Common Darter

We had a partial solar eclipse here in Plymouth on Wednesday August 12th, 27 years and a day after we had a total eclipse which was unfortunately marred by cloudy skies. This time round the skies were totally cloud free on yet another scorching hot day and we headed up to Plymouth Hoe to watch it with our special viewing glasses bought back in 1999 (although in hindsight they probably weren't the best things to use after all this time). The totality was around 95% but the temperature noticeably dropped as we reached that percentage cover at around 19:15hrs when the light became eerie and unusual and the shadows had blurry edges to them.

Photos of the partial eclipse courtesy of Ian Walker from Wales - @ianwalker.bsky.social

As the sky darkened House Sparrows started to come in to roost in some nearby bushes, they were being quite noisey but then went totally silent until the light levels began to rise again when they returned to their noisey chirpings. The Herring Gulls also started calling noisely as the eclipse waned and the skies brightened, just as they do at first light in the mornings. All in all an interesting experience and later topped off by watching the first night of the National Firework Championships at Sutton Harbour.

Fireworks from Sutton Harbour Marina

We attended the funeral of dear Mike, the husband of Mavis, on Friday 14th August, it was held at a new crematorium near Roborough in a very peaceful setting amongst the trees and it was a lovely service. Mike used to come out with myself and Mavis on our birdy days out but in recent years health issues have meant he couldn't join us although he always kept his interest and love for the natural world with him. I will remember him as always being cheerful and laughing, always interesting to talk to and a proper gentleman who will be sadly missed.

I headed out to Wembury on Saturday 15th August, it was cool and cloudy when I arrived off the 7am bus but as usual it was baking hot, sunny and humid by the time I caught the bus back to Plymouth. It was coming up to high tide and at The Point there were 2 Curlew, 3 Redshank, a Common Sandpiper and a Dunlin roosting amongst the Oystercatchers and also present were at least 28 Mediterranean Gulls including 3 juveniles and a ringed adult bird (details awaited). The male Common Scoter was also still present close in to the beach and was watched diving away and bringing up Crabs to eat at the surface.

Oystercatchers, Redshank and Mediterranean Gull

Mediterranean Gull EH54

Juvenile Mediterranean Gull with Black-headed Gulls

A Grey Heron was picked up offshore flying west low over the sea but otherwise the sea was quiet. A Feral Pigeon flew over The Point shortly followed by a Peregrine and other birds of prey seen were a Kestrel, a Sparrowhawk and 3 Buzzards. A beautifully yellow-looking juvenile Willow Warbler was flitting about in The Pines, my first at Wembury this year, a juvenile Wheatear was feeding in the sheep field and 2 Swift were feeding overhead amongst the Swallows and House Martins.

Sparrowhawk

Wheatear

There were still plenty of butterflies flitting about although with the heat there are fewer and fewer plants in flower for them to feed on. There seemed to be even more Clouded Yellows on the wing than previously and a smart helice type was also seen.

Clouded Yellow

An Icterine Warbler had been found last Thursday in the valley to the beach by local birder David, it was higher up the valley than I would usually walk and I had a half-hearted look for it in the tangle of vegetation there but with no luck, as expected.

On the bus heading back to Plymouth I had a message about a Great White Egret being found along The Plym and so I jumped off the bus at Laira Bridge and walked up to Marsh Mills to look for it. I eventually found it feeding along the river off Blaxton Meadow where it towered over the Little Egrets fishing nearby, a nice ending to my birding day out.

Great White Egret

Great White Egret

I returned to The Plym and Saltram on Sunday 16th August, it was cool and cloudy as I caught the bus to Marsh Mills but by the time I caught the bus home from Laira Bridge it was hot and sunny again. I had hoped that the Great White Egret would still be around but sadly it had moved on and I was glad that I had stopped off on the way home from Wembury the previous day to see it.

 Saltram trees already turning brown in the drought

It was coming up to high tide and Redshank, Greenshank, Curlew, 9 Grey Heron, 8 Little Egret and an Oystercatcher were roosting on Blaxton Meadow and there were more waders present on The Embankment further downriver. I had a scan of the trees nearby and was very pleased to find a Pied Flycatcher flitting about, my first for The Plym, and there was also a bright yellow juvenile Willow Warbler present. Even better though was finally finding 2+ Spotted Flycatchers, my first of the year anywhere.

I had a look around Chelson Meadow which was very crunchy underfoot as the heat and drought continue. There was no sign of the recent Whinchat but I did see 3 Stonechats, 4 Skylark and a Sparrowhawk. I also found 2 Dingy Skippers, they were again along the perimeter track so hopefully will survive the solar farm construction but I'll never know either way as there will be no access at all to the site.

Dingy Skipper

Dingy Skipper

Dingy Skipper

Dingy Skippers

Hornet Robberfly with Grasshopper

As I continued my walk to The Ride the Gulls out on the mudflats on the dropping tide all noisely took to the air en masse but by the time I got to a viewpoint overlooking the river they had all returned to the mud so I decided to head up to the beach near the cottage where I could scan both upriver and downriver at the same time. As I scanned about all the Gulls noisely took to the air again and eventually I found the cause as an Osprey flew downriver, it made a few swoops at the water with no success but finally snatched a small fish from the surface before circling high over Chelson Meadow and heading off as usual towards Stag Lodge - some great views but not so great photos

Osprey

Osprey

Osprey

Osprey

No comments:

Post a Comment