Thursday 14 December 2023

Hume's Leaf Warbler

Monday 11th December was a fine, dry and mild day as I headed off on the train to Paignton for some birding around the Torbay area. It's the first time I've left the Plymouth area to do some birdwatching since September and I finally used the Devon and Cornwall Railcard I bought back in November for the first time too.

I wasn't sure of my plans for the day but with a Hume's Leaf Warbler having been found at Clennon Valley Lakes I decided to focus my efforts there first and see how the time went as it is a bird I have never seen before and I wasn't sure how long it would take for me to connect with it (if at all). 

Clennon Valley Lakes

I walked from the train station at Paignton to the Lakes and after negotiating the very muddy footpaths towards the area where it was being seen I found a group of birders aiming huge cameras at the trees overhanging the water. I had a quick scan with my binoculars and there it was, flitting about like a demented sprite as it searched non-stop for food amongst the branches, a new bird for me (only my second one this year) and luckily seen as soon as I arrived on site.

Hume's Leaf Warbler

It gave some wonderful views and was quite unconcerned by everybody looking at it, it came quite close at times but never stopped moving for more than a second or two. It looked like a very washed out Yellow-browed Warbler and gave a distinctive call, reminiscent of a Pied Wagtails, and it was a delight to watch, so much so that I spent 2 and a half hours in its company - and I even managed to get a few record shots!

Hume's Leaf Warbler 

Hume's Leaf Warbler 

Hume's Leaf Warbler 

Hume's Leaf Warbler 

It would regularly disappear for short periods of time and during its absences I kept an eye out for other birds with the highlights being a flyover Redwing, a flyover male Teal, 4 Coot, a Goldcrest, a Grey Heron, a Little Egret and 2 Little Grebe. Chiffchaffs were flitting about in the trees too but were very active and mobile, at least 3 were present, and a Cetti's Warbler and a Water Rail were also heard.

0
Little Grebe

Robin

I eventually tore myself away and walked over to the beach at nearby Goodrington for a look across the Bay with my telescope. It was flat calm and birds were scattered across the water but sadly most were quite distant even with my scope, however I did pick up Great Crested Grebes, Great Northern Divers, Kittiwakes, Gannets and Razorbills along with probable Guillemots, bizarrely 2 Mute Swans and 12 female Common Scoters.

A look at the nearby Boating Lake in Goodrington Park revealed 6 male and 5 female Tufted Ducks, a Cormorant and 2 Mute Swans with Mallards, Moorhens and Gulls but it was soon time to walk back to the railway station in Paignton to catch the train home. 

Mute Swan

And so it was quite a nice day out, it was good to get away from Plymouth and visit somewhere different for a change and it only cost me £6.45 on the train. Even better was seeing a new bird although it was a little bit twitchy at times and that is never one of my favourite birding experiences.

Hume's Leaf Warbler - the best shot of it I've seen on social media courtesy of Mwills@21_mwills on Twitter/X

No comments:

Post a Comment