Saturday 23 December 2023

A Windy Plym and a Muddy Wembury

Christmas is nearly here and it is proving to be a strange experience this year with none of the extra anxiety, worry and stress that usually accompanies it when working in the NHS. The strange part is that these feelings haven't been replaced by any others except relief and so far Christmas just seems like any other time of the year but with a hint of something different in the air. We are going to be having a very quiet Christmas time this year and have very few plans, just what I certainly need, and maybe this is why it doesn't feel overly special but I'm sure that it's going to be an enjoyable time.

Anyway, I headed out to The Plym on Thursday 21st December for a walk, it was dry but very windy and became increasingly so and as a result the birds were keeping themselves hunkered down although I still had a productive walk.

It was around 10:00am when I stepped off the bus at Marsh Mills and with the high tide not due until 12:30pm I had expected to see some exposed mud out on the estuary but there was none to be seen. However Blaxton Meadow was still uncovered and no water was entering through the sluice gates and so I settled down to count the assorted birds already present and arriving in to roost. The regular Black-tailed Godwit was present amongst a flock of 48 Curlew but just as I began to count the Oystercatchers a low flying Buzzard passed overhead and everything took to the air. A lot of the birds didn't return and those that did continued to be unsettled and I eventually realised the cause as I picked up a juvenile Peregrine buzzing around overhead. I did however manage to count 8 Greenshank, 5 Turnstone, 3 Dunlin, 7 Wigeon and 9 Snipe in the melee along with the usual Redshank and Shelduck while 2 Kingfisher were seen flying together low over the Meadow before disappearing from sight.

It was quiet around the Park due to the strong winds but a Mistle Thush, a Raven, a Kestrel, skittish Redwings, 3+ Ring-necked Parakeets and a Buzzard were of note while 2 pairs of Goosander were seen along the river and 25 Mandarin Duck (17 males) were present on the duck pond. I did have a look for the recently reported Water Rails but there was, as expected, no sign of any, I'll maybe try again on a less windy day before the end of the year.

Mandarin

Goosander

Goosander

It was another breezy day on Friday 22nd December as I headed out to Wembury for a walk but less so than the previous day. It was grey and claggy with occassional mizzle in the wind but there were a few sunny spells too, the footpaths though were the usual mudfest but I managed to negotiate them successfully.

Geological processes in action along the raised beach at Wembury

More landslip action

Hibernating Snails

I didn't take my scope with me due to the wind but I wished I had as there was a movement of Auks offshore when I first arrived, over the course of an hour around 500 passed west in small groups and fairly close in for Wembury. A look offshore at The Point though revealed around 50 Razorbills feeding quite close in along with a single Guillemot and I managed some good views despite the choppy seas. A Great Northern Diver preening and diving off the beach near the sewage pipe was also a nice find although it was difficult to track between dives amongst the waves.

It was good to see the Fulmars back on The Mewstone cliffs although they were mostly keeping themselves huddled down on the ledges. It was also good to see quite a few Gannets flying past offshore too after the recent ravages of bird flu.

The tide was heading in and along the beach were 2 Little Egret, 15 Turnstones, a Curlew, a Grey Wagtail and 2 pairs of Mallard plus the usual vocal and mobile Oystercatchers. I had a look for the Water Pipit but again it was a no show but a few Meadow Pipit were present amongst the numerous Rock Pipits.

Turnstone

There was no sign of any Cirl Buntings in the windy conditions but Stonechats eventually appeared including the very showy and confiding pair by the boatyard bridge.

Stonechat

Stonechat - same bird, different light and angle

A Buzzard, a Kestrel and a Sparrowhawk were noted overhead along with at least 6 Redwing and also of note were a male Blackcap, a Chiffchaff and a Goldcrest in village gardens and a Goldcrest and a Chiffchaff in the valley to the beach. 

Two very enjoyable walks despite the wind and mud and probably my last proper birding days of 2023.

No comments:

Post a Comment