Saturday 20 May 2023

More of the Green Hairstreaks

With my 2 night shifts duly completed I headed out to Wembury for a walk on Thursday 18th May on what was another warm and sunny day. I hoped to see more of the Green Hairstreaks from last week and I wasn't disappointed as there were now at least 8 of them present (2 each in 4 places) although a couple were looking very worn.

Green Hairstreak

Green Hairstreak

Green Hairstreak

Green Hairstreak

I also found my first Small Copper and Common Blue of the year along with a Speckled Wood, a Peacock, a Red Admiral, 2 Large White, Holly Blues, Orange Tips and a Green-veined White.

Small Copper

The highlight though were 2 Red Kites which appeared to come in off the sea before heading inland, my first ever sighting at Wembury although somewhat overdue.

Red Kites

A close runner up for bird highlight of the day were 5 Mute Swan asleep on the sea just offshore near the sewage pipe, only my second ever site record.

5 Mute Swans A'sleeping

Mute Swans

A Red-legged Partridge in the wheatfield, the Cettis Warbler still singing away deep in cover along the valley to the beach and 7 Turnstones feeding together along the beach were also notable sightings.

There were lots of Bloody Nose Beetle larva found along the footpath too with a pair of Beautiful Demoiselle in the valley to the beach a first for the year.

Beautiful Demoiselle (female)

No Horses Equals a Daisy-covered Horse Field!

Depressia daucella caterpillar

No comments:

Post a Comment