Monday 30 August 2021

Yellow Wagtails at Wembury

Friday 27th August and the August Bank Holiday was upon us and for a change the weather was looking good. As usual I was working but not until the Saturday night and so after an early start sorting out the back yard moth box I headed out for a quick look around Saltram and The Plym.

The grass was very dewy and it felt cool as the sun began to rise higher in the sky to warm up the day and I was pleased to find 2 Whinchat and 2, possibly 3 Tree Pipits along with a Willow Warbler, a Whitethroat, 2 Chiffchaff, 2 Spotted Flycatcher, a female Blackcap and Swallows. The Tree Pipits and Whinchats disappeared from sight as soon as I found them but eventually I did refind the Whinchats which showed very well although they remained very mobile and flighty. Unfortunately the Tree Pipits were never seen again. 

Whinchat

Whinchat

Tree Pipit

Tree Pipit

The tide was high and on a brief look at Blaxton Meadow 6 Greenshank, an adult Shelduck, a Bar-tailed Godwit, 38 Curlew, 10 Oystercatcher and a Kingfisher were noted.

Kingfisher

A Purple Hairstreak was a big surprise, found on the footpath in the shade while walking down to the Meadow from Saltram House. I placed it in my hand to warm up before it weakly fluttered away, my first for Saltram.

Purple Haitstreak

Purple Hairstreak

The afternoon was spent sitting on Jennycliff Beach in the warm sunshine, our first beach day for nearly 2 years now, and a Raven, a Little Egret, 5 Oystercatcher, 2 Jersey Tiger Moths and a Magpie Moth kept me entertained as I admired the views of Plymouth Sound.

Saturday 28th August was yet again warm and sunny and so I visited Wembury for a coast walk before starting my night shifts. It was busy as expected and became increasingly so but I had a productive visit.

The tide was high and despite the constant disturbance along the beach I managed to see 79 Oystercatcher, 13 Ringed Plover, 12 Dunlin, 12 Turnstone, 3 Common Sandpiper, 2 Whimbrel, 2 Bar-tailed Godwit and a Curlew.

Bar-tailed Godwits

Bar-tailed Godwits

The previous day had seen a good movement of passerines through the area but things were quieter on my visit although I did see at least 8 Wheatear, 3 Yellow Wagtails and a distant probable Whinchat along with the usual Whitethroat, Chiffchaff and Swallows.

Yellow Wagtail

A Mistle Thrush feeding in the top horse field, at least 10 Mediterranean Gulls (2 juveniles) and an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull roosting on the rocks amongst the Herring and Black-headed Gulls, Gannets offshore and a hunting Sparrowhawk were also seen. 

A couple of Painted Ladies and Silver Y 's were noted feeding on Valerian flowers and at least 3 male Beautiful Demoiselle were still on the wing along the stream. 

Beautiful Demoiselle

My 3 100 challenge for the year continues and I have finally reached one of my targets with 101 species of moth recorded in the back yard, achieved by paying closer attention to micro moths and with the invaluable ID assistance from @MothIDUK on Twitter. 

Maidens Blush

Dichrorampha acuminatana 
(Sharp-winged Drill) 

Mompha Propinquella (Marbled Mompha) 

Clavigesta purdeyi ( Pine Leaf-mining Moth) 


No comments:

Post a Comment