Thursday 23 May 2019

Green Hairstreaks at Wembury

Tuesday 21st May and a hot and sunny morning saw me heading off to Wembury for a walk before yet another looming night shift. I left home later than planned, catching the 10:05 bus, and only stayed at Wembury for 2 hours before returning home, but it was a very enjoyable visit.

I didn't even get my binoculars out of my rucksack but managed nice views of songflighting whitethroats, a female cirl bunting in a hedgerow near The Point and a soaring buzzard overhead along with 2 shelduck, 3 male mallard and oystercatchers along the beach. Chiffchaff and blackcap were heard but I didn't see any swallows along my walk.

No moths were found in the toilet block but I did see a speckled yellow flitting past and Depressia daucella caterpillars were found on the hemlock water drop wort flowerheads.

The highlight of the walk though were 3 green hairstreaks by the path at The Point, a solitary male and 2 males close together that regularly sparred with each other and all giving excellent views and looking fabulous in the bright sunshine.

 Green Hairstreak

 Green Hairstreak 

 Green Hairstreak 

 Green Hairstreak

Green Hairstreak 

 Green Hairstreak

Green Hairstreak 

Also seen were common blues, holly blues, speckled woods, orange tips, green-veined whites and my first large skipper of the year.

 Large Skipper

 Large Skipper

Holly Blue

A very enjoyable walk, and I wished I had worn my shorts and sandals for the first time this year as it was so warm - summer is almost here at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment