Sunday 4 June 2023

June!

June is here and the year is whizzing by at an alarming rate. It won't be long now before its Christmas again!

I have at last reached my target date and I have finally done it and handed in my notice at work. I'm not sure what's next but I no longer want to be this anxious, knackered, irritable, stressed, depressed version of myself and so it's time for a change - nearly 29 years of nursing in the NHS has exacted a heavy toll and it is one that I can no longer endure although it has also been a privilege to have worked in the role that I have.

Work has been an ever growing struggle since the beginning of the year and even my wildlife hasn't been soothing my soul as it usual does and I've felt like I'm just going through the motions. In fact the last 3 years have been increasingly shite, ever since the COVID lock down in 2020, but now its time to stop as I just feel very burnt out, not good for me but certainly not good for the patients in my care.

Anyway, after 2 more night shifts we had a walk around Plymouth Hoe on Wednesday 31st May and I was pleased to find my first Bee Orchids of the year in the wild meadow near the allotment along with my first Burnet Companion of the year - unfortunately I had left my camera at home!

Thursday 1st June was hot and sunny as the settled spell of weather continues and we took a short walk on Roborough Down to look for butterflies before heading off to visit Davids Mum in her residential home as her health continues to decline.

There were plenty of Brimstones flitting about but little else, just 2 Speckled Wood, a Wall, 3 Small Heath and 2 Green Hairstreak. I took my Emperor Moth lure out with me but I wasn't expecting any success as the lure is over 2 years old and it's a bit late in the season for them, however a worn male eventually did appear which was nice to see.

Emperor Moth

Willow Warbler, Whitethroat, Chiffchaff and Blackcap were singing away and Yellowhammer and Stonechat were also seen and heard but the highlight were 2 male Dartford Warbler singing away in areas I've not seen them in before.

Heath Speedwell

I headed off to work on Friday 2nd June for a 4 hour shift to make up my time from attending a funeral of a family member a few weeks ago but not before a young rat ran over my feet in the breakfast room while I was getting ready! With the hot weather I had left the back door open overnight by mistake and it must have wandered in and got lost. I'm not sure where it went as I had already closed the back door but I left the door slightly open when I headed off to work so hopefully it found its way out.

It was another hot and sunny day and after working my 4 hours I caught the bus to Marsh Mills for a River Plym and Saltram walk. I had hoped to see some butterflies but there were very few around although I did see my first Meadow Brown of the year along with a few Small Heath and Speckled Wood.

Meadow Brown

I found lots of Grass Vetchling in flower, I saw just 1 last year and didn't photograph it so was pleased to find so many on this visit along with a few Burnet Companion moths flitting about in the grass with them.

Grass Vetchling 

The ground was bone dry with the ongoing heat and lack of rain but I did find a few Bee Orchids and Southern Marsh Orchids in flower.

Bee Orchid

Southern Marsh Orchid

At the dipping pond Azure Damselflies were locked together in mating embraces and a menacing Emperor Dragonfly was buzzing around over the water.

Azure Damselfly

It was very quiet bird wise, not helped by the midday heat and a low tide but Chiffchaff and Blackcap were still singing away and Swifts, Swallows and House Martins were hawking overhead. A smart looking third calendar year Mediterranean Gull was amongst the gull roost on Blaxton Meadow and it was a surprise to see 2 small Mute Swan cygnets with their parents at Marsh Mills, I've no idea where they nested but the first breeding I've recorded for the Plym.

Mute Swans

Mute Swans

Very sadly David's Mum passed away that evening, Rest In Peace dear Beryl. X

No comments:

Post a Comment