Sunday 23 October 2022

Wembury (Yet Again)

After our trip to Topsham on the Tuesday the weather took a turn for the worse with rain, gales and an Easterly wind which resulted in lots of birds on the move including quite a passage of Ring Ouzel. And of course I was working night shifts and missed it all!

There were birds on the move everywhere and along with the Ouzels there were reports on the Internet of good numbers of Redwings and Fieldfare passing overhead, a Merlin at Saltram, a Pallas's Warbler at Berry Head and a 4 Skua/ 4 Shearwater species seawatch at Berry Head, all while I was otherwise engaged. Never mind.

Saturday 22nd October was my first free day to get out birding but it very much felt like the party was over with grey skies, mild temperatures and a southerly breeze. I decided to head to Wembury again despite it being a Saturday and the beginning of Half-term Holiday Hell but I caught the 7am bus, arriving at Wembury at around 7:30 just as it was beginning to get light. I figured this way I would avoid some of the crowds but even at this early hour there was disturbance along the beach from walkers.

A Chiffchaff was heard in the gardens leading down to the beach and by the end of my walk I had seen at least 5 birds. Even better was a Cettis Warbler heard calling from cover in the valley to the beach, a brief call and it kept resolutely hidden but my first record for Wembury. I heard it again later on the walk back to the bus stop, this time it was quietly calling, almost like it was humming to itself and practising its lines but again it kept well hidden in the vegetation.

A Fox running across the top horse field by the stables was a nice sight, it's been years since I've seen a Fox at Wembury and this one was a very handsome and healthy looking individual indeed.

With the warm weather there were a few insects feeding on the Ivy flowers including 2 Ivy Bees, Wasps and Hoverflies and I kicked up 2 Rush Veneers from the grass at The Point.

Rush Veneer

Ivy Bee

Glass-winged Hoverfly

The stiff southerly breeze was kicking up some nice waves onto the beach and out on the rocks were 3 Little Egret, 2 Curlew, a Grey Heron, a 3rd winter Lesser Black-backed Gull and Oystercatchers. There were Mediterranean Gulls flying around and feeding offshore with a few roosting on the rocks, all winter plumaged adults except for a 1st winter bird which was sadly oiled across its chest.

I had hoped for a bit of movement offshore but it seemed very quiet, however with a bit of scanning about I managed to see a few interesting birds. There were plenty of Shags around, either sat on the sea in small groups or flying back and forth offshore. Gannets were noticeable too but sadly a juvenile bird sat on the sea close to shore looked like it was suffering with avian flu. 3 groups of Auks flew west (7,3 and 1), probably Guillemots, with a Guillemot sat preening on the sea between the beach and The Mewstone showing very well. 

Wembury Cattle

A strange sighting was of a juvenile Peregrine offshore stooping at a small black and white bird sat on the sea, probably an Auk. The Peregrine would flush the bird off the water making it fly for a short distance but it didn't manage to catch it. I watched it do this for a few minutes before it gave up and flew off but I would have thought an Auk would just dive underwater to escape the Peregrines attentions rather than risk getting caught by flying. 

A Shelduck flew west along with a Great Northern Diver but the highlight (and biggest frustration) was a Commic Tern flying west too, distant in the poor early morning light and most likely a Common Tern - I'm really not good with distant Terns!

A pair of Cirl Buntings, a Song Thrush, a Goldcrest, a Great Spotted Woodpecker, a female Kestrel getting constantly hassled by Carrion Crows as it tried to hunt, Stonechats and 4 Greenfinch were also of note along my walk before I headed home just as the rain arrived, an enjoyable morning with some good sightings but feeling a little bit like I'd missed the main event. 

No comments:

Post a Comment