Friday 22 April 2022

A Wheatear at Wembury - Finally!

Friday 22nd April and with a free day to myself I decided to visit Wembury for a look about. It was sunny when I awoke but by the time I arrived at Wembury it had clouded over although by the time I left to return home the sun had reappeared.

It seemed to be very quiet again but things quickly brightened up when I finally found my first Wembury Wheatear of the year, a female along the beach which looked pretty tired as it stood on the rocks and presumably freshly arrived.

It was also good to finally see my first 8 Wembury Whimbrel of the year, mobile and flighty along the beach on the high tide and occasionally giving their lovely whistling calls. 

With easterly winds forecasted I packed my telescope into my ruck sack but it didn't seem too breezy offshore and I almost didn't get it out of my bag for a scan. I'm glad I did though as I managed to see my first Manx Shearwaters of the year, it was difficult to assess numbers though with birds moving around back and forth offshore in groups of up to 4. 

A few Gannets were moving around too along with a few distant Auk species (probably Guillemots) and a flock of around 30 Common Scoter flying west was a nice surprise. A flock of 12 dark looking waders flying east low over the water were too distant to call for sure but were likely to have been Bar-tailed Godwit. 

Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Whitethroat were all singing away and the wheat field held 5 Red-legged Partridge and a Canada Goose. There were 28 Oystercatcher roosting on the rocks at The Point along with 2 male Mallard, 4 Little Egrets and 2 Shelduck. A single Swallow was seen flying east along the clifftop. 

Shelduck

Singles of Speckled Wood, Holly Blue and Orange-Tip were seen despite the lack of sunshine and 4 Common Lizard were trying to bask on the wooden fences. 3 Rabbits were seen in a garden while walking down to the beach and a single St.Marks Fly was found resting on some gorse blossom before flying off. 

Common Lizard

Yellow-legged Mining Bee

Yellow-legged Mining Bee

It finally feels like spring is now properly underway! 

No comments:

Post a Comment