Thursday 25 November 2021

Water Pipit at Wembury

As often happens at this time of year my Birding Mojo has somewhat waned and I'm happy just sitting on the settee checking out the bird news on the Internet without actually wanting to get out and about for myself (a long staying Little Auk in Weymouth Harbour did pique my interest but it's too far from home for me). 

I've been pottering about and catching up on chores and have been quite happy doing so as the "horrors" of Christmas rapidly approach but after 2 night shifts and a free day off I decided to visit Wembury for a walk on Wednesday 24th November, more for some fresh air and exercise after my night shifts than for a birding fix.

The mild weather has finally given way to a cold snap and it was a grey and chilly day as I headed off on the bus and I wore my winter coat for the first time this winter. The cold weather meant it was quieter at Wembury than usual although there was still quite a bit of the usual disturbance along the beach.

A Chiffchaff, a Goldcrest, 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker, a Song Thrush and 10 Long-tailed Tits were seen in the village gardens on the walk down to the main beach while at The Pines another Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 female Blackcap and 4 Song Thrushes were also noted.

Great Spotted Woodpecker, Wembury Village

Offshore a few Gannets were seen along with the usual Shag, Cormorant and Gulls including a winter plumaged Mediterranean Gull while along the beach 4 Curlew, a Little Egret, a Common Sandpiper, Oystercatchers and 30 Mallard were seen including the feral type male first seen last week.

Common Sandpiper

At least 3 male Cirl Buntings were singing in the brief sunny spells and a small flock of around 10 Cirl Buntings were feeding along the beach out of the wind along with a group of around 15 Linnet. Stonechats were showing well along the footpath and a male Kestrel and 2 Raven flew overhead. 

I checked out the birds feeding on the rotting seaweed mass along the beach and amongst the Pied Wagtails, Rock Pipits and Meadow Pipits I found a Grey Wagtail, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Wren, Robin and Blackbird but best of all was a very smart looking Water Pipit, my first of the year. 

Water Pipit 

Water Pipit

Water Pipit

It really stood out amongst the other Pipits present and was a pleasure to watch and while flighty and mobile it always returned to the same area which it defended by chasing off any Rock Pipits or Meadow Pipits that came near. Hopefully it will set up a territorial feeding area and stay for the winter. 

Water Pipit

November is often a good month to find Water Pipit at Wembury although last year's November bird was never seen again so hopefully this one will stay. 

Water Pipit

It was soon time to head back home with a Grey Squirrel in the village gardens on the walk up to the bus stop the only other sighting of note but I was glad to have gotten out birding with the Water Pipit getting my pulse racing a little bit and also a little bit of my Birding Mojo back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment