Tuesday 22 September 2020

More Moths and a River Plym Walk

I worked a long day on Saturday 19th September, busy and exhausting as it always seems to be these days, and on arriving home at around 9pm I nearly didn't put the moth box out in the back yard but I'm very glad I did.

On checking out the moth box the next morning after a warm and humid night I had a very nice haul of 47 moths of 17 species with the highlights being a Black Rustic, a Knot Grass, 3 Shuttle-shaped Dart, 5 Large Ranunculus, 2 L-Album Wainscot and a Bloxwoth Snout, my second one of the year.

Black Rustic

Knot Grass

Shuttle-shaped Dart

Large Ranunculus

L-Album Wainscot

Bloxworth Snout

I haven't been for a walk along the River Plym and around Saltram Park since June of this year despite my original intentions back at the beginning of the COVID-19 Lockdown in March of visiting Saltram and the River Plym at least weekly. With the COVID-19 lockdown rules easing over the summer I concentrated my wildlife efforts elsewhere in case of another lockdown occurring (which currently seems quite likely), but with an early morning high tide on Sunday 20th September I decided to head out for my usual walk. 

The tide was very high when I arrived at Blaxton Meadow at around 10:30 and the Meadow was totally covered in water. 5 Greenshank were roosting along the embankment wall and 14 Little Egret were roosting on the small islands along with 6 Curlew. Out along the River a Mute Swan, 21 Canada Geese and 2 Common Sandpiper were seen along the waters edge and a Kingfisher was seen flashing past. 

In the Park 11 Ring-necked Parakeets were flying around screeching, 2 Stock Doves flew overhead, a juvenile Sparrowhawk flew low and stealthily amongst the bushes and a Kestrel hovered over the grassy fields. 3 Whinchats were a nice find feeding close together and getting grief from 8 nearby Stonechat and a lone Wheatear was a nice find too. 

Whinchat

A Jay, a Buzzard, 2 Raven and Chiffchaff were also seen and butterflies were represented by Red Admiral, Small White, 2 Small Copper, a male Common Blue, Large White and a few Meadow Brown. 

Small Copper

3 Roe Deer were noted too with 1 individual very curious about me as it stopped to turn and look at me regularly as it walked away. 

Roe Deer

Roe Deer

A Hummingbird Hawkmoth was a surprise feeding on buddleia flowers before settling on a dead flowerhead to rest, they look quite odd when perched up and not buzzing around. 

Hummingbird Hawkmoth

A lovely walk on a warm and sunny day and very nice to be back. 




No comments:

Post a Comment