Friday 3 January 2020

Another New Year

Since my River Plym walk on December 23rd I haven't managed to get out birding with my new telescope as expected but I have had a few interesting sightings.

Friday 27th December was our Christmas dinner day and on the walk down to the allotment at Cattedown to pick some vegetables for our meal I found an adult Mediterranean Gull amongst the black-headed gulls milling about on Sutton Harbour along with a little grebe and 2 Canada geese. A song thrush and a robin were feeding around the allotment while 2 woodpigeon were busily snaffling the Brussel sprout leaves and a grey wagtail and a Jay flew overhead.

Saturday 28th December and we took a walk around Burrator Reservoir to try and shift some of our Christmas excesses. It was very busy with walkers and cyclists and it was sad to see a fox hunt galloping across the hillside with a pack of dogs but I did see a marsh tit, a very pale plumaged buzzard, the resident white goose with mallards, a few flyover siskin and a brief view of around 10 crossbills "glipping" over the fir trees before they disappeared from sight.

My first bird of 2020 was a robin, well actually 3 robins, all busily singing away in the dark at 07:00hrs on Wednesday 1st January  as I stood outside my front door waiting for a taxi to take me to work for the day.

Thursday 2nd January and we took a trip over to Mount Edgecumbe with David's Mum for some lunch and a walk. The highlight was a gannet circling over the mouth of the River Tamar with assorted gulls and on closer inspection I picked up 1 or possibly 2 Harbour Porpoise surfacing occasionally beneath them, my first porpoise sightings in Plymouth Sound and a nice surprise to start to the New Year.

And so 2020 begins, what will it bring? Here's to another good wildlife filled year.

No comments:

Post a Comment