Monday 21 December 2015

Ring Necked Parakeet, Plymouth

With ring necked parakeet sightings appearing on the Devon Bird webpages recently I headed off to Ford Park Cemetery on Sunday 13th December to have a look around as up to 4 had been seen there and in nearby gardens.

A look around the Cemetery drew a blank but I did see at least 3 mistle thrush, 10+ redwing and a sparrowhawk soaring overhead. It was interesting to see and hear the coal tits feeding in the trees react to the sparrowhawk, giving a distinctive call note as they watched it fly over before returning to their foraging as it passed.

I decided to head off to the surrounding roads to have a look in the gardens and just as I was about to leave the Cemetery I heard the distinctive calling of a parakeet. Despite searching the trees I couldn't see it even though it continued to call but eventually I located it in the top of a bare tree, surprisingly well camoflagued against the sky despite its bright green plumage.

It eventually flew off but I relocated it nearby feeding on a bird feeder in a garden and I watched it for a while before I headed off home. A new bird for Devon for me and maybe the beginning of a feral population here in Plymouth, presumably they are birds which have dispersed from further east in the UK.

9 comments:

  1. I had Three in MY garden yesterday feeding from bird feeders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathon Mitchell3 June 2018 at 22:43

    I saw about 10 and they had one or two with shorter tails; youngsters? They were in Central Park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two visiting our bird feeders regularly. Crownhill area

    ReplyDelete
  4. About 15/18 in the trees just behind the school on Torridge Way Efford, noisy little beggars flying amongst the trees

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few weekd ago there were about 15 20nesting in the big trees near the train station!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 at our bird feeder this morning, in Ernesettle, Plymouth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we have a pair just moved into a tree outside our house in st peters rd

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw a filmed a whole flock at dusk on 24th December (2020) in Ford park cemetery 20+. One blue one amongst them. What a sight! I filmed and photo’d. Wouldn’t have missed that for the world.

    ReplyDelete